Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Drem

Military site : airfield

Known as West Fenton Aerodrome from 1916, it became Gullane Aerodrome after the First World War. It was disused between 1919-1933, and in 1939 the grass airstrip was concreted over and site renamed RAF Drem.

The 'Drem Lighting System' was developed here which enabled Spitfires and Hurricanes to land at night; became standard operating system for all RAF airfields.

On 11 May 1945 Spitfires escorted white-painted Ju52s carrying surrendering Luftwaffe officers from Norway; from Drem they were taken to Edinburgh.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.rafdrem.co.uk/
http://www.eastlothianatwar.co.uk/drem.html
http://www.el4.org.uk/el4-cd/military.html

Share