Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Crewe

Military site : non-airfield

Crewe is famous for being a major UK rail junction.

Crewe Hall (a Jacobean mansion built in 1615 for Sir Randolph Crewe) was left empty after 1922 and eventually sold to the Duchy of Lancaster in 1936.

It was requisitioned during the Second World War being ideally placed to utilise the nearby railway junction in its role as part of the huge Replacement Control Depot network. This depot processed troops newly arrived in England from ports such as Liverpool, prior to their being assigned a unit and had a similar function to the camps at Stone, Staffordshire.

Like many similar country estates it also housed troops returning from Dunkirk and latterly POWs.

Currently a hotel and conference centre.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?6814...

Share