Interview questions for a civilian
Here are some sample questions to get you started.
Section 1: Background
- Can you talk a bit about your background / your childhood / where you grew up / what your parents did…
Section 2: Experiences:
- Tell me about your village/town during the Second World War.
- What did you do during the war? Are there memories which stand out?
- Do you remember the Americans arriving in England and what you thought?
- Did you ever visit an American airfield?
Section 3: Life:
- How did life change when the Americans came to your local area?
- Where did the Americans go in their free time?
- Do you have a war bride in your family?
- Were any houses in your village/town used by US servicemen during the War?
Section 4: After the War:
- Do you recall the day the War ended?
- What did you do in the days and weeks afterward?
- Did you make any close friendships with American airmen?
- What was life like in your local area after the Americans left?