This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
A P-51 Mustang (J2-O) nicknamed "V for Val" of the 435th Fighter Squadron, 479th Fighter Group in flight. Handwritten caption on reverse: '435th F.S., 479th F.G., 8th Air Force.'
The 479th was the last Fighter Group to join the Eighth Air Force, which they did on 14 May 1944. Known as "Riddle's Raiders", after their first Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Kyle L. Riddle, the Group flew escort and fighter sweep missions before D-Day....
Military site : airfield
Built in 1938 as a medium bomber station with a grass airfield, Wattisham was occupied by the RAF until handed over to the Eighth Air Force in September 1942. The 68th Observation Group was the first American unit to occupy the station from October to...