IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
A B-17G Flying Fortress (GL-R, serial number 42-102457) of the 410th Bombardment Squadron, 94th Bombardment Group, is inside a hangar at Bury St. Edmunds (Rougham). Official caption on image: "900 (44) WPU. 4-27-44. Rougham. B17-G. 42-102457. FA-FSAD." Handwritten caption on reverse of print: '94th Bomb Group, [damaged, 4th?] Combat Wing, 3rd Air Div.'
Activated 15 June 1942 at MacDill Field, Florida. Initial organization and training at Pendleton Field, Oregon on 29 June 1942; Primary flight training at Davis-Monthan Field in Arizona from 28 Aug. 42 to 31 Oct. 42; then at Biggs Field, El Paso, Texas...
B-17 Flying Fortress
Delivered Cheyenne 5/3/44; Kearney 22/3/44; Dow Field 4 March 1944; Assigned 410BS/94BG [GL-R] Rougham 6 April 1944. Nicknamed "FILTHY HAG". Was hit by Flak at an altitude of 23,000 feet on the 22 April 1944 mission to Hamm, Germany. It caught fire, 2...
Military site : airfield
The airfield was purpose-built for American bomb groups and as such had a 2,000 yard main runway that lain in concrete with a tarred and wood-chipped surface. The scale of bases such as this meant that very often the technical, administrative and...