IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
The control tower of the 486th Bomb Group at Sudbury. Official caption printed on image: '(GFC-1-2-486)(27-5-44) Flight Control, Control Tower, awaiting the return of planes from a mission.' Image via Roland A Andrews.
The 486th Bomb Group flew both B-24s and B-17s, swapping from the former aircraft to the latter in late July 1944 after 49 missions. In total the Group flew 292 missions during the war and remarkably the 834th Bomb Squadron lost no aircraft or...