IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
Airmen of the 486th Bomb Group inside the control room at Sudbury. Image via Roland A Andrews. Handwritten caption on reverse: 'Inside Flying Control AAF station # 174 Sudbury, 486 B Gp.'
The 486th Bomb Group flew both B-24s and B-17s, swapping from the former aircraft to the latter in late July 1944 after 49 missions. In total the Group flew 292 missions during the war and remarkably the 834th Bomb Squadron lost no aircraft or...
Military site : airfield
Situated between the villages of Great Waldingfield and Acton, the airfield was used by the 486th Bomb Group from March 1944 to August 1945. Facilities for administrative offices for the Combat Wing were also made available here and along with barrack...