IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
The right engine of a 450th Bomb Squadron, 322nd Bomb Group ('ER') B-26 Marauder is serviced on a hardstanding at Andrews Field airbase. Handwritten caption on reverse: 'V. Culhane photo. 322BG, 450BS. Oil or Fuel?'
The 322nd Bombardment Squadron (Medium) was activated on 19-Jun-1942 at MacDill Field, Florida with B-26B Marauder aircraft. In late September 1942 the unit moved to Drane Field, Florida. The Ground echelon sailed for the UK aboard the Queen Elizabeth...
Military site : airfield
The base was known as Great Saling when construction – by US Army engineers – began in 1942 but was renamed Andrews Field in honour of the memory of Gen. Frank M. Andrews, who was killed when the B-24 he was travelling in crash-landed in Iceland on 3...