Interview questions for a veteran
Here are some suggested questions to get you started.
Section 1: Background
- Can you talk a bit about your background, your childhood, where you grew up, what your parents did…
Section 2: Joining up:
- How did you come to be in the air force/why did you join?
- Do you recall your first days in service/your training?
Section 3: Experiences:
- Tell me about where you were stationed.
- Do you remember arriving in England and what it was like?
- What was your job?
- Were there many casualties in your unit?
- Were you a prisoner of war?
- What kept you going or motivated you?
Section 4: Life:
- How did you stay in touch with your family?
- What was the food like?
- Did you feel pressure or stress?
- Was there something special you did for ‘good luck’?
- What did you do when you were on leave?
- Did you keep a diary?
Section 5: After Service:
- Do you recall the day your service ended?
- What did you do in the days and weeks afterward?
- Did you make any close friendships while in the service?
- What did you go on to do as a career after the war?