St Ansgarii Church in Bremen was just one of many historical monuments across Europe to fall victim to the 8th Air Force's Bombing campaign during the Second World War. In this guest post, Bremen resident Nils Huschke (aka Pagentorn) shares his research into how the church came to be destroyed by US bombers.
St Ansgarri was first built in 1229 in Bremer Alstadt (Bremen's Old Town), dedicated to Saint Angsar, the Apostle of the North. Its long and eventful history saw it become the location for the start of the Protestant Reformation in Bremen, and turn the city into a site of historical and religious importance for many years. Until the Second World War the Chuch's 98 metre tower made it the tallest building in Bremen.