Delivered RAF [AN531] as part of Lend-Lease via Gander to 90 Squadron [WP-O] Polebrook 3-May-41; transferred 220 Squadron (NR-O) Nutts Corner 12-Feb-42; RAF Coastal Command Development Unit Ballykelly, Tain 20-Jun-42; 206 Squadron (ZZ-V) Coastal Comm. Devel. Unit, Benbecula, Scot. 4-Aug-42; Royal Aircraft Establishment 15-May-44; Struck Off Charge 7-Jul-45. (Longest serving B-17 in RAF).
Military site : airfield
Polebrook was laid down for RAF Bomber Command use in 1940-1941. Built by George Wimpey and Co. Ltd, it had short runways which were lengthened for USAAF heavy bomber use. The RAF used the base for operational trials - including of B-17 Flying...
Not yet known