B-17F 41-24999 'Fury' was assigned 91BG/322BS [LG-P]at Bangor 2-Sep-42; Bassingbourn 29-Sep-42; 3m Despatched 18-Nov-42 to bomb the U-Boat pens at La Pallice, France. Upon return the aircraft sustained a mid-air collision with B-17F 41-24453 (91BG) 'Mipah - The Bearded Beauty' ten miles southwest of Exter. 41-24453 landed safely at Yeovilton and was repaired and send back to 91BG. 41-24499 landed at RAF Station Turweston and was salvaged 26-Nov-1942. 11RTD
P Major Vic Zienowicz (RTD); CP: Capt Gillespie (RTD)
N Capt Hosman (RTD); Asst. N 2Lt Ralph L. Clinton (RTD)
B Lt Hubbard (RTD) E/TTG TSgt Panero (RTD)
RO SSgt LaGrossa, (RTD) BTG SSgt Butler (RTD)
WG Sgt Hackwith, WG SSgt Jackson
TG Sgt Benecki (RTD)
The 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy) was activated at Harding Field, Louisiana on 15-April-1942 and went to MacDill Field, Florida for the first phase of training from 16-May-1942 to 25-June-1942. The Group was then assigned to 2nd Air Force at Walla...
Military | Second Lieutenant | Navigator | 91st Bomb Group The Ragged Irregulars
On 18 November 1942, while serving as Navigator, in 'Fury' B-17 41-24499 bombs could not be released so were jettisoned in an open field. On return, 10 miles SW of Exeter, a/c collided with 41-24553 which was able to land safely; however Fury landed at...
Military | Major | Pilot | 91st Bomb Group The Ragged Irregulars
On 18 November 1942 while serving as the pilot of B-17F 41-24499 'Fury' the bombs could not be released on the U-Boat pens at La Pallice, France, so were jettisoned upon return in an open field. 10 miles SW of Exeter, the aircraft collided with 41...
18 November 1942
The U-Boat pens at Lorient and La Pallice, France are the Primary (P) targets for this mission. However, those at St. Nazaire, France are attacked by 21 B-17s of 303BG when they are mistaken for those of Lorient. The force attacking Lorient is composed...
Military site : airfield
Now home to a museum all about the aifield and its USAAF residents (http://www.towermuseumbassingbourn.co.uk/) , Bassingbourn opened in 1938 as part of the RAF's pre-war expansion programme. The RAF continued to use it until late in 1942 when its long...
Not yet known