A plaque at the Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, Pooler, Ga. It is dedicated to the crew of B-17 Ramp Happy Pappy.
Delivered Cheyenne 10/7/44; Kearney 19/7/44; Dow Fd 3/8/44; Assigned 861BS/493BG [Q4-A] Debach 5/8/44; battle damaged Magdeburg 12/9/44 with Capt Ellis Woodward, Co-pilot: Bill Rawson, Navigator: Gordon Weir, Bombardier: Marvin Wright, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Joe Vales, Radio Operator: Joe Sutton, Ball turret gunner: Blair Archer, Waist gunner: George Spinney,Tail gunner: George Kenawell (9 Returned to Duty); sustained battle damaged and force landed RAF Woodbridge, Sfk, on return; Salvaged.
Gordon Weir's account of this mission, accompanied by photographs, is available here:
The 493rd Bomb Group was the last Eighth Air Force Group to become operational, flying their first combat mission from Debach, Suffolk, on D-Day, 6 June 1944. The Group was known as "the Fighting 493rd", named by their Commanding Officer Colonel Elbert...
Military | Staff Sergeant | Ball Turret Gunner | 493rd Bomb Group
Military | Sergeant | Tail Gunner | 493rd Bomb Group
George Kenawell served as a tail gunner with the 861st Bomb Squadron of the 493rd Bomb Group, flying missions out of Debach, England. One of the aircraft he flew in was B-17 43-38227.
Military | First Lieutenant | Co-Pilot | 493rd Bomb Group
Military | Sergeant | Waist Gunner | 493rd Bomb Group
Military | Sergeant | Radio Operator | 493rd Bomb Group
Military | Sergeant | Flight Engineer; Top Turret Gunner | 493rd Bomb Group
Military | First Lieutenant | Navigator | 493rd Bomb Group
Gordon Weir served as a navigator with the 861st Bomb Squadron of the 493rd Bomb Group. He completed 31 missions.
Gordon's detailed and fascinating memoir of his wartime service is available here: http://www.arizonahandbook.com/8thAF.htm
Military | Lieutenant | Lead Pilot | 493rd Bomb Group
Flew 30 Mission as Lead Crew Pilot
Military | First Lieutenant | Bombardier | 493rd Bomb Group
Military site : airfield
Debach was one of the last Eighth Air Force heavy bomber bases to be completed. It was built by the 820th Engineer Battalion (Aviation) between late '43 and early '44. Pronounced locally as 'Deb-idge', the base was built to a class A standard with...
||12 September 1944