Skip to main content
Edit entry 

41-9129

B-17 Flying Fortress

Assigned 359BS/303BG Molesworth 21/4/42; slated 388BG, transferred 97BG Polebrook 8/42; 327BS/92BG [UX-R] Bovingdon 9/42; 305BG Grafton Underwood 6/11/42; 96BG Snetterton 11/8/43; 388BG Knettishall 11/8/43 as t/t & hack; Salvaged 22/6/45.

Service

Places

  • Grafton Underwood

    Military site : airfield
    Grafton Underwood was built in 1941 by George Wimpey and Co. Ltd. It was the first airfield in England to receive an Eighth Air Force flying unit, when in May 1942 personnel of the 15th Bomb Squadron took up residence. As a satellite airfield for...

  • Knettishall

    Military site : airfield
    Knettishall was built to Class A standard for an American Bomb Group that would be bringing up to forty heavy bombers with them in three or four Squadrons. The 388th Bomb Group, which stayed at Knettishall for their entire service in the ETO, flew B-17...

  • Molesworth

    Military site : airfield
    Molesworth was one of the early stations used by the Eighth Air Force in the UK, first occupied by the 15th Bomb Squadron’s Douglas Bostons in June 1942. Built in 1940 and extended and improved in 1942, Molesworth is most associated with the 303rd...

  • Polebrook

    Military site : airfield
    Polebrook was laid down for RAF Bomber Command use in 1940-1941. Built by George Wimpey and Co. Ltd, it had short runways which were lengthened for USAAF heavy bomber use. The RAF used the base for operational trials - including of B-17 Flying...

  • Snetterton Heath

    Military site : airfield
    Intended to be an RAF bomber base, construction of Snetterton Heath started in Autumn 1942 but continued until mid-1943, because it was extended after allocation as an Eighth Air Force bomber base. It had eventually three concrete runways, 50...

Events

Not yet known

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:40:07 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Dave Osborne, B-17 Fortress Master Log

Share